Chiesette pedomontane in MTB - San Mauro

San Mauro - Small piedmont church in Santa Giustina (Dolomites)/Chiesetta pedemontana a Santa Giustina (BL)


I add on this blog a description, already described on mtb-forum.it, one of the best bike trail in southern Dolomites near Santa Giustina - Belluno province - Italy, done in October 13rd 2014.

Aggiungo qui la descrizione, già pubblicata su mtb-forum.it, di uno dei migliori giro in bici sopra Santa Giustina fatto il 13 ottobre 2014.

Since I live in Santa Giusina I'd seen a white spot in a green-forest narrow valley, it is the small church of San Mauro clinging to the left side of Val Scura. With a better look it's possible to see other white spots, in last years I have reached a lot of them:
- San Felice (link 1 - link 2); on the opposite side of Val Scura relative to San Mauro's church;
- San Vettore;
- Sant'Agapito (link);
- the Croce di Cesio (the Cesio's Cross) (link 1 - link 2).

Da quando abito a Santa Giustina vedo un puntino bianco in una valle angusta e boscata, è la chiesetta di San Mauro abbarbicata al versante sinistro della Val Scura. A guardare bene ci sono molte altri puntini bianchi, nel giro di un paio d'anni ne ho raggiunti parecchi:
- San Felice (link 1 - link 2); dirimpettaia della chiesetta di San Mauro;
- San Vettore (protettore del calcolo matriciale?);
- Sant'Agapito (link);
- la Croce di Cesio (link 1 - link 2).

The small church of San Mauro is particularly inaccessible by bike and I wasn't able to find a suitable access. More I see it and more my will to go increase, I'm not so devout, but these scattered spots are interesting evidence of an old way of life; it is often guessed an ancient pagan cult converted in a Christian's cult. To reach these devotion sites allows to understand how life was centuries ago: quarries, woods and meadows are passed through by bicycle, on ancient path.
La chiesetta di San Mauro è particolarmente inaccessibile e non riesco a trovare un accesso comodo. Più la vedo e più ho voglia di andarci, non che io sia particolarmente devoto, ma questi puntini sparsi sono testimonianze interessanti sulla vita di un tempo, spesso si intuisce un antico culto pagano convertito in culto cristiano. Raggiungere questi luoghi di devozione permette di capire come si viveva un tempo: cave, boschi e pascoli vengono attraversati in bicicletta sugli antichi sentieri.

After I wandered around many times in locality Prà di Montagna (in English: Alpine Meadow) and I engaged on very nice descends at strange schdules, I have guessed what could be a nice trip: to go uphill on Salmenega valley and downhill in Veses one. Days are short in September, in the evening I couldn't see the landscape, therefore I have started before dawn and I have directed the bike to Sant'Agapito (see link before), I have left the small church on the left side,
Dopo aver gironzolato a lungo nella zona di Prà di Montagna con bellissime discese fatte ad ore strane, intuisco quello che potrebbe essere un bel giro: salire la valle del Salmenega e scendere per quella del Veses. In settembre le giornate sono corte, la sera non potrei vedere il panorama, quindi parto prima dell'alba e mi dirigo verso Sant'Agapito, lascio la chiesetta sulla sinistra,
The small church of Sant'Agapito. / La chiesetta di Sant'Agapito.

then I have gone ahead on the steep ramps that have carried me on the very beautiful "balcony" of Prà di Montagna.

e proseguo per la ripide rampe che mi portano sulla bellissima balconata di Prà di Montagna.
Val Belluna landscape from Prà di Montagna. / Panorama sulla Val Belluna da Prà di Montagna.


The street ends, but the old (or even ancient) path (perhaps a mule-path) go ahead and it is possible to pedal till the ruins of Rissac casera (a casera is a small building near alpine meadows where milk is transformed in butter and cheese, cattle spend on alpine meadows only the summer months). Here and there the vegetation allows to view the final destination under the magnificent walls of Pizzocco mountain.
La strada finisce, ma l'antica (o antichissima) mulattiera prosegue e si lascia pedalare fino ai ruderi della casera Rissac. Qua e là squarci della vegetazione mi permettono di vedere quale sarà la meta finale sotto le magnifiche pareti del Pizzocco.
The white spot is the San Mauro's small church, the higher mountain is Pizzocco. / La  macchia bianca è la chiesetta di San Mauro, la montagna è il Pizzocco.

From the casera's ruins I have chosen a descend that I have never done (there are three descends), on the old path I have had a lot of fun, the trail is flow with very few technical passages. In (too much) little time I have reached a crossroad: a street arrives from the valley, two cable-ways (only for goods) go in different directions, a path goes uphill, this is the direction that I have to take. I have started to pedal, initially easily, than with difficulty, the sections where I have needed to push the bike became more frequent, then a rocky exposed segment has required to carry the bike on my shoulders.
The nice thing of the exposed section is the lack of vegetation, the landscape is wonderful, unfortunately it is possible to view where is my office and then the place where I have to be in an hour.
Dai ruderi della casera prendo una discesa che non conosco (ce ne sono tre), l'antica mulattiera è scorrevole e divertente con pochissimi passaggi tecnici. In breve raggiungo un crocevia: dal basso sale una strada sterrata, due teleferiche partono in direzioni differenti, una mulattiera prosegue verso l'alto, questa è la direzione che devo prendere. Inizio così a pedalare, prima agevolmente, poi con fatica, quindi i tratti a spinta iniziano a farsi frequenti, infine un tratto roccioso ed esposto richiede che mi carichi la bici in spalla.
Il bello del tratto esposto è che non c'è vegetazione, il panorama è magnifico, purtroppo mi mostra dov'è l'ufficio e quindi di dove sarò fra circa un'ora.
Val Belluna landscape, wonderful! /  Panorama della Val Belluna, meraviglioso!

On the last section it is possible to pedal and the church appear suddenly on the borders of a well-finished lawn.
L'ultimo tratto è di nuovo pedalabile ed appare la chiesa al limitare di un prato ben curato.
San Mauro's church. /  La chiesa di San Mauro.

A short rest to admire the architecture of the church,
Una breve pausa per ammirarne l'architettura,
San Mauro's church, inner side. /  L'interno della chiesa di San Mauro.

I have checked the clock, I was late!! I have jumped on the bike and I've started to descend,
controllo l'orologio, sono in ritardo!! Riparto verso valle,
Me above Val Belluna. / Io sopra la Val Belluna.

The descent is nice, some technical sections have tested my skills and my courage, some passages have forced me to put a foot (or the feet) on the ground. Where there is the exposed section I have get off the bicycle and I have descend by foot, a tombstone has reinforced my choice...
After the rocky section the path is flow and nice, I have came back on the crossway and I have gone ahead on the street, therefore I have dashed myself to Campel.
From here to my home I know the descend very well due to the numerous times I have rode the bike along the way (i.e. read here). I have descend very fast, near the old dam I have taken a look to one of the white spot: San Vettore's church, then I have followed the flow to Altanon's hydroelectric power station (obviously the path is flow). Then I have gone ahead on paths and tracks and in a rush I have reached the center of Santa Giustina, I have splashed the bike, I have had a shower, a breakfast and I have been ready to work. To wake up before daybreak it's worth it.
La discesa è divertente, i passaggi tecnici mettono alla prova le mie capacità ed il mio coraggio, qualche passaggio mi obbliga a mettere a terra un (o due) piedi. Dove c'è il tratto esposto smonto dalla bici e scendo a piedi, una lapide rafforza la mia scelta...
Superato il tratto roccioso continuo per il sentiero scorrevole e divertente, ritorno sulla strada e quindi mi fiondo verso Campel.
La discesa da qui fino a casa la conosco benissimo grazie alle numerose volte che l'ho percorsa (ad esempio leggete qua). Scendo velocemente, presso la vecchia diga uno sguardo alla chiesa di San Vettore e seguo l'acqua verso la centrale idroelettrica dell'Altanon. Proseguo quindi per stradine e sentierini ed in breve sono in centro a Santa Giustina, una schizzata alla bici, una doccia, un panino al volo e sono pronto per andare a lavorare. Svegliarsi ad ore antelucane ne è valsa la pena!

GPS track here.
Traccia GPS qua.

Commenti